When You Don't Communicate It Right...

This Sunday during the message I had planned a transition out that went like this:

"As a pastor people are constantly coming up to you and asking you to pray for this or that. I’m not sure why we do that other than it’s just something we do. Maybe it’s for our own comfort or assurance? But, somewhere along the line I developed this learned behavior as a pastor where I am supposed to passionately pray for them all… even if I don’t have the slightest interest in what I am praying about. Just being honest. But, you know you can’t fake God out. It dosen’t work. And, if you really want to make a vital connection with God you have to:

Be SINCERE"


The hope of that transition was to connect with people that were still checking the God thing out. The hope was they would be sitting there and think, "Hey, so these super spiritual wack jobs I work with, or see on TV, is not what it's about. This guy sounds real. He struggles too. I just need to be sincere. Not pray because I am supposed to do it..."

Two people have come up to me and said they were offended by that comment. So I felt the need to ask for their forgiveness and to explain it a little better because sometimes what you plan to say and actually say, AND what is heard, are different things.

I am an imperfect communicator and I hope people judge me on what I have done and said in the past not just in one moment of miscommunication. I do understand how it could be taken personally and again for that I am sorry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brian
Relax man- you will never please everyone. You are a sincere honest guy- those people need to lighten up and stop taking themselves so seriously. You were taking a risk- they just need to lighten up