Where do 47 people go???

For those of you that have started a church from scratch I would love to hear from you on this one... This Sunday we had 47 less people than the week before... how does that happen? Sure if you are a mega-church 47 people coming and going is no big deal but when you have less than 200 people 47 is a huge number!

I post this for two reasons. First, if you have had this happen to you know that you are not alone. Sometimes you just can't figure the numbers out. It doesn't mean you have failed the last time out. One week doesn't make a trend.

Second, I would love to hear what you have maybe learned about wild swings like this. What kinds of things should you look at when a wild swing in attendance happens? Leave your comment here or e-mail them to me at brian@canthisbechurch.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

we used to wonder what we did wrong in those early months...50 people was huge for us too...still is really.

you can't explain the numbers and trends in a new church...sometimes, things make no sense.

Brian A. Moon said...

Thanks! That helps. That is what I was hoping for with the post. Hope others know we all go through it. Sometimes you have to just stay away from sharp objects :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey man we were down by about 80 a few weeks back so I understand. I always think...."Was it a good beach day?" Maybe folks were spending time with their families....or are we missing something. We still have wide swings in attendance but see overall growth. The main question for me is.....am I doing what God wants me to do? I wonder how the disciples felt after the "eat my body" comment by Jesus when everyone took off....hmmmmm.....

Brian A. Moon said...

Good stuff man! Straight ahead with the vision God has given you. That is good advice for all of us in the church planting/leading gig. Thanks for sharing!