The Kind of Servants Every Church Needs

This morning as I was continuing to read the Book of Acts I came across this:

"And I have been a constant example of how you can help those in need by working hard. You should remember the words of the Lord Jesus: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’” Acts 20:35

Basically, Paul is saying his goodbyes as he is about to head to what he fears is his certain death, so He is giving his final words to the group of believers who will be carrying on the mission of that local church.

The part that struck me was the final line as he quotes Jesus, "It is more blessed to give than to receive." Those are the kinds of servants / volunteers you need at every church.

I am blessed to have some people around me at the Suncoast like this, but you always need more, you need those people who will say, "I am not in this for me. I am not here to get something. I am not here to try to take over. I am not here to tell you how to do your job. I am not here to just take, take, take and then leave 6-months later. I AM HERE for whatever you need done because it is better to serve and be served."

We need those people, they fuel a church! BUT, here is what I want to leave you with...

It is different if you are one of those people. It feels different. You don't always get the warm fuzzies each Sunday. You will get tired and fight a bad mood some weeks. You will feel like you are giving and giving and no one even cares. You might even have some dry times with God as you serve wholeheartedly. But, then you would be no different than Paul. Paul was listing all the things he had done as if to say, "Guys I have given my life to this, and I am about to give my life for this... keep on! Stay the course. Remember WHO you are doing this for. You are doing this for Jesus. You are serving Him and GREAT is the blessing that is coming your way even when it doesn't always feel like it in this life."

What an awesome thing to find people who get that!

Thank you to everyone in my life like that!!!

No comments: